Monday, May 04, 2009

Gabi Elkaim's diary from Bulawayo

We left Harare early this morning. We met at 5:45am to travel the 5 hours back to Bulawayo, with a brief stop in Kwekwe to visit one of the Brahma Kumaris' sister's family, where we were welcomed in for an Indian breakfast of grated mealies mixed with lacto and Indian spices. It was drizzling when we left Harare, and had rained in Kwekwe by the time we got there. It seemed the rain was following us, as soon after we got to Bulawayo, it started to rain here too. Ops said it means the winter is coming and that we should expect it to be a very cold one.

Our intention for leaving Harare so early was to be able to get back in time for the unvelings that were scheduled for 2:30pm at the Jewish cemetery, as well as a Yom Ha'Shoa ceremony to remember the 6 million who perished in the Holocaust. This is not usually the sort of thing that I would be lining up for... but I had seen Shirley the week before, and she had asked me specially if I would come for her sister Queenie's unveiling, if I am back from Harare in time. I walked into the entrance room of the cemetery just as the clock turned 30 minutes past 2, and to my surprise, stood in a room of almost 70 people (I counted), jews and non-jews alike. Rabbi Moshe, the travelling rabbi came to Bulawayo from Joburg, specifically for today. Eight unveilings took place, a large number for a single afternoon. I was told, however, that this was the case, as previously in Zimbabwe, it was impossible to have the tombstones made, and only those who were able to bring them in from South Africa, were able to have the traditional unveiling service. Indeed, I noticed one grave that marked the death had taken place in 2004. I visited my grandfather and placed a stone on his grave, noticing that beside him lay David Cinamon, a young man whose death was a tragedy. I never met David, but was glad that my grandfather was there to keep him company, if only in body. I started to read the names of the other tombstones, some I remembered: Tilly Katz who used to call me Big Eyes as a child, most I did not remember. The surnames ring a bell, and I quietly remarked how each person in that cemetery is a friend of one another, or at least the child or grandchild of a friend. I thought about how in that cemetery lies a community, in the true sense of the word, dating back as far as 1909 I believe. And those who were present today mark the continuation of our community, despite that it's a dwindling one... a community nonetheless, who continues to take care of its dead.

We went to the monument for the 6 million at the end, and then washed our hands in a symbol of leaving the dead behind, and returned to the entrance room where more prayers were said. A menora of 6 candles were lit for the 6 million, and for all of those that suffered at the hands of the Third Reich. The honour of lighting the 6th candle was given to David Coltart, our new Minister of Education, as the rabbi spoke of a common plight of the Jewish people and Zimbabweans alike: that of hope, and a future.

We then continued on for tea at Savyon Lodge, our Jewish retirement home, another symbol of a community that really does look after one another.

And so, despite a grey and heavy day, in all senses, it seems that light always manages to find a way to make itself apparent, within our small Jewish community, and yes, even within our nation... sometimes we just need to look a little more carefully for it.

With that, I wish you all the ability to see the Light in your lives,
- Gabi

1 comment:

Saville Katz - ex Byo, now in Los Angeles said...

This is absolutely beautiful. And you write so well. It brought tears to my eyes. Kol hakavod to you.